Choosing a venue for WordCamp was the one of the hardest decision. Following are some points we keep in mind while shortlisting the venue:
- The venue had to be at the centre of the city. So that it is convenient for all.
- The venue should have multiple halls and open areas for parallel tracks and networking.
- The venue should have amenities to assist people with impaired mobility.
- The venue Promoters should be supportive.
After visiting almost about 20+ venues across the city we narrowed it down to the choice of Chitnavis Centre. It is the centre of the country, literally just 1.3 km away from zero mile monument.
Chitnavis Centre is centrally located in Civil lines, Nagpur in a large campus admeasuring 4.42 acres. Centre has multiple properties equipped audio-visual facilities for seminars, workshops, training sessions, conferences, dance recitals, plays, music concerts, art exhibitions, film festivals, expositions and many other events.
Chitnavis Centre is run by NGO – Sir Gangadharao Chitnavis Memorial Medical Research Trust (reg. No. E-831 dt.31.1.1973). It is a charitable trust working in the field of human welfare, human rights, medical relief, education, promotion of art and culture and protection of the environment.
Revenues generated from the Chitnavis Centre are channelized towards many social projects which are managed by the trust.
Regular sessions, various events, activities, and campaigns are organised in the city, under following names we know:
- Pranav – Early intervention centre for hearing impaired Children
- Children’s Movement for Civic Awareness (CMCA) – to promote democracy, citizenship values and civic awareness among children and youth.
- Manjiri – to empower women to help them participate in the growth and development of India
- Akshar – Free of Cost computer classes to underprivileged children, especially from nearby slums.
- Children’s Library, Mahal – The library stocks books from school textbooks to novels, comics and magazines. Books are available in three languages- Hindi, Marathi & English. Library is located at Chitnavis Wada, Mahal
With all above goodness of people behind Chitnavis Centre, the venue is well maintained, lush green, at centre, without noise and very well built with ample parking. Perfect place for first WordCamp in the city.
A gentle reminder that early birds tickets are already open and going out fast. Book yours today! 🙂